Based in Chihuahua, Mexico
February 27th, 2018
Dive into northern Mexico's breathtaking landscapes with Mulaka, a 3D action-adventure game based on the rich indigenous culture of the Tarahumara. Renowned for their impressive running abilities, embark on the journey of a Sukurúame - a Tarahumara shaman - as you fight back the foulness corrupting the land, while drawing upon the powers of demigods. From solving puzzles in environments inspired by real Sierra Tarahumara locations, to heated hand-to-hand combat with creatures pulled from the region’s mythology, find out why the Tarahumara have earned a reputation for being superhumans.
Mulaka was designed hand in hand with renowned anthropologists and Tarahumara leaders to capture the true essence of the culture in the game. We unearthed old books, crumbling texts and forgotten diaries and gotten the most playable elements, as well as the coolest myths and stories and recorded authentic Rarámuri dialogue. We have as well the assistance and guidance of our friend and collaborator Enrique Servín, poet and cultural expert, winner of the "Andrés Henestrosa" International Prize of Myth, Story and Legend. Also, Mulaka is backed economically and culturally by ICHICULT (Chihuahua Institute of Culture) and the YOREME fund. Everything has been done so you can experience the power and adventurous history of this culture.
- Become the legend: Harness the renowned athletic talents of the Tarahumara as you engage in fast-paced platforming and hand-to-hand combat.
- Explore Sierra Tarahumara: Traverse a 3D world inspired by the legendary, real-life landscapes of northern Mexico, rendered in a vibrant, low-poly visual style.
- Based on real mythology: Draw upon the powers of demigods and battle fearsome creatures pulled from the rich lore of the Tarahumara people.
- Live the culture: From narration in their indigenous language, to music unique to the region, experience an authentic representation of Tarahumara culture.
- Mix up your gameplay: Leverage the Tarahumara’s physical prowess, demigod transformations, puzzle-solving and the crafting of magic potions as you save humanity from the corruption plaguing it.
Mulaka - Launch Trailer YouTube
Mulaka - Thank You Trailer YouTube
Mulaka - PAX West 2017 Trailer YouTube
Mulaka - The Tarahumara Culture YouTube
Mulaka - The Mythological Creatures YouTube
Mulaka - The Game YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "IndieCade Festival 2018 Nominee" IndieCade Festival Finalist, October, 2018
- "Best Game" National Contest of Video Games MX, December, 2017
- "Best Cultural Game" National Contest of Video Games MX, December, 2017
- "Official PSX 2017 Selection" PlayStation, December, 2017
- "Game Informer's Best Indies of PAX West 2017" Game Informer, September, 2017
- "Official PAX West 2017 Selection" Indie MEGABOOTH, September, 2017
- "Nindies Arcade PAX West 2017 Selection" Nintendo, September, 2017
- "MIX Seattle Games Showcase 2017 Selection" Media Indie Exchange, September, 2017
- "Game Jolt + DreamHack Indie Party @ PAX West 2017 Selection" Game Jolt, September, 2017
- "IGN's Favorite Games of Nindies@Night 2017" IGN, August, 2017
- "ID@Xbox Pre-PAX Open House 2017 Selection" Xbox, August, 2017
- "ID@Xbox Campus Party 2017 Selection" Xbox, July, 2017
- "Official E3 Selection" Indie MEGATRAILER, June, 2017
- "Among the top 100 of over 42K projects" Posible Mexico, July, 2015
- "This is a game worth celebrating."
- Mark Delaney, True Achievements
- "Reaches the aspirational heights of its inspirations."
- Alex Irish, Operation Rainfall
- "Mulaka feels deeply personal."
- Kyle Bradford, Gamespew
- "Lienzo has excellently implemented their cultural source material into a video game"
- John Rairdin, Nintendo World Report
- "We need more games like Mulaka."
- Matt S., Digitally Downloaded
- "Every environment feels alive and beautiful"
- Luis Guillermo Sandoval, DarkZero
- "It was a delight to play around with a culture that I knew nothing about"
- Gareth Brierley, The Xbox Hub
- "Mulaka is a joy to play from start to finish."
- Flynnie, Cubed3
- "Enthralling, exciting cultural odyssey you hope never ends."
- Kiwi, GameSpace
- "Mulaka has the potential to light the spark of video game development in Mexico"
- Cody Perez, Game Revolution
- "Mulaka is the beastmaster game I didn't know I wanted"
- Papa Niero, Destructoid
- "Mulaka is Bafflingly True to The Culture it's Based On"
- Tyler Robertson, Hardcore Gamer
- "It's a pleasant and unique piece of independent craftsmanship"
- Chris Berg, GameRaven
- "One of the best of the Nindies show as far as the art style"
- Gavin Sheehan, Bleeding Cool
- "Mulaka is a refreshing combination of novel story telling"
- Joel Cooper, Geek Side Magazine
- "Mulaka, Never Alone, and Videogames as Cultural Agents"
- Cassidee Moser, Kill Screen
- "Preserving Mexico's Tarahumara Tribal Culture Through Video Games"
- Rafi Schwartz, GOOD
- "Mexico’s Tarahumara Tribe is Getting the Video Game Treatment"
- Danilo Aguilar, Remezcla
The official website for Mulaka is available at lienzo.mx.
Mulaka's soundtrack is available for free listening at soundcloud.com.
Mulaka in "Ya Veremos"
Mulaka appears in the Mexican comedy "Ya Veremos"! Announcement at lienzo.mx.
Lienzo is a video game development studio located in Chihuahua, Mexico. We create experiences that are up to the quality standard of this creative international industry. We know that video games are the ultimate medium for storytelling and we strive to leave a mark on the lives of gamers.
More information on Lienzo, our logo & relevant media are available here.